**Interested in joining Hood County 4-H? Please contact the Hood County Extension Office at 817-579-3280**
HOOD COUNTY HISTORY
Hood County is rich in frontier folklore and Texas history. The County’s first settler established an Indian trading post along the Brazos River, but settlers soon began to venture west of the Brazos River making their homes on where the town of Granbury currently stands. In 1865 Hood County was named after a Civil War Confederate hero by the name of General John Bell Hood. During the 1880’s and 1890’s the Hood County courthouse and jail were built from native limestone and are still standing in Granbury today. Agriculture was the leading industry in Hood County, and cotton was the county’s first leading crop. Livestock, especially beef, dairy cattle and hogs were important agriculture products. In 1887 the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad arrived in Granbury bringing Hood County its first rail transportation.
The long-awaited damming of the Brazos River to create Lake Granbury had a tremendous impact on the growth and economy of Hood County. Hood County is currently called home by over 54,656 residents.
TEXAS A & M EXTENSION SERVICE OF HOOD COUNTY
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Hood County is honored to offer its services to the many residents of Hood County. The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Hood County takes research-based information directly to the people and is the vital link between research and its practical application in the lives and concerns of Texans as well as Hood County residents. Dedicated to improving the quality of life for the residents of Hood County, Extension’s statewide delivery system provides educational programs in agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer sciences, community development, and 4-H and youth development.